Motor Wheel Service International Limited was originally founded as Motor Wheel Service and Repair Co. in 1927 on Becklow Road, London. In 1947, after working there for a number of years, George Smith took ownership and spurred the growth of the company until it had expanded enough to move to new premises on Jeddo Road in 1969. In 1974 MWS was appointed as an official UK distributor for wire, light commercial, car, caravan steel and alloy wheels by Dunlop Ltd. George Smith was becoming affectionately known as "George the Wheel" due to his knowledge and experience within the industry. George’s reputation led to MWS being awarded exclusive UK distribution rights by Dunlop Ltd for all wire wheels in 1978. During these years George was making sure his son, Colin, was being taught all he needed to know to carry the family business forward. 1979 saw the beginning of an ongoing relationship with Morgan Motor Company to produce OEM wire wheels for their factory in Malvern. In 1980 Dunlop Ltd, who had been in partnership with Wheels India Ltd since the 1960s, decided it was time to relocate wire wheel production from the Midlands to Madras, India (now Chennai). MWS was awarded exclusive worldwide distribution rights for all Dunlop wire wheels and George joined Dunlop engineers in India, spending several months overseeing the new production line. In 1982 he saw the first batch of Jaguar wire wheels produced and shipped to the United Kingdom. By this time George’s son, Colin, was taking over ownership of MWS. In 1988, MWS headquarters moved to larger premises in Langley, Slough. The service and repair division remained in Shepherds Bush until 1998 when they moved into workshop facilities within the Langley site. 1993 - first set of SS100 Replica wheels produced in the Workshop for Suffolk Sportscar Engineering. Due to the success of the project these wheels went into production in the factory a few years later. MWS has worked closely with Wheels India Ltd for more than 30 years to ensure the ongoing quality and technological improvement of its products. In 1993 a new range of fully stainless steel wire wheels was introduced. The range is regularly updated and now covers most Jaguars, Aston Martins and Morgans.The in-house Workshop has established an excellent reputation for the manufacture and restoration of steel or alloy wire wheels. MWS also has the facilities to restore most types of classic steel wheels, including rostyles and MG V8. Please visit our Restoration Diaries section for more details and photographs .MWS have been working with The Blockley Tyre Company since 2003. Blockley’s initial programme was to produce quality tyres for pre-war (and early post-war) cars to use on both the road and track. Recently Blockley have launched a new range of radial tyres and tubes to suit both lines of tyres.
More info: www.mwsint.com